Removes bacteria, naturally.
Zorflex® is a 100% activated carbon wound contact dressing for chronic, non-healing wounds.
Electrostatic van der Waals forces attract and trap microbes onto the Zorflex surface, where they are overcome by electrostatic tension that breaks them apart and kills them, effectively “cleaning” the wound bed, creating favorable conditions for healing.
Zorflex is a 100% activated carbon wound contact dressing that benefits from a triple action, it:
- contains no antiseptic agents
- works by aDsorbing bacteria and other pathogens onto the dressing surface
- exhibits no donation of chemical agents or fibers to wound bed
- exhibits no systemic absorption
- is non-cytotoxic and is completely safe to use
- safe, natural removal of bacteria — no reported adverse reaction
- can be used as a prophylactic dressing
- can be left on the wound for up to 7 days between changes
- easy to use, without pain and without leaving residual fibers
- no special procedures or techniques required for applying directly on the wound
- manages malodor
Proven effective against MRSA and modulation of proteases.1,2
In-vitro studies with Staphylococcus aureus demonstrate the adsorption properties and the natural electrostatic forces of Zorflex in comparison to a control.
- Substantially more bound bacteria
- Significant bacterial membrane ruffling
- Loss of bacterial membrane integrity
The loss of membrane integrity in the bacteria on Zorflex initiates cell destruction, versus the intact membrane integrity of the healthy bacteria on the control material.5
- Carney, J. Thomas, H. and Westgate, S. J. Antimicrobial Properties of, and Proteinase Modulation by, an Activated Carbon Cloth. Poster presented at SAWC 2017
- Murphy, N. Reducing infection in chronic leg ulcers with an activated carbon cloth dressing. British Journal of Nursing 2016, Vol 25, No 12: Tissue Viability Supplement.
- Scheer, H., Kaiser, M. and Zingg U. Results of directly applied activated carbon cloth in chronic wounds. Journal of Wound Care 2017, Vol 26, No 8
- Medical Microbiology, Cardiff School of Health Sciences, Cardiff Metropolitan University, March 2018
- Young S, Gray S, and Hampton S. A retrospective study to evaluate the effect of an activated carbon dressing on chronic wounds. EWMA 2016 e-poster
- Tadej M, Bree-Aslan C, Hampton S, Knowles A. An evaluation of the Zorflex carbon fibre dressing in managing bacterial load and aiding healing of chronic wounds. Poster presentation at EWMA 2013(a) (23rd annual congress of the European Wound Management Association), 15-17 May, Copenhagen
- Han G, Ceilley R. Chronic wound healing: a review of current management and treatments. Advances in therapy. 2017 Mar 1;34(3):599-610.
Zorflex® is a registered trademark of Chemviron Carbon LTD. Chemviron is the European operation of Calgon Carbon, subsidiary of Kurary Co. Ltd acquired in March 2018
Zorflex® Carbon Cloth Wound Contact Dressing
|Size||HCPCS Code||Item No.||Shipping Units (per box/case)|
|10 cm x 10 cm (4" x 4")||A6206||140535||10/100|
|10 cm x 20 cm (4" x 8")||A6207||140536||10/100|
|15 cm x 25 cm (6" x 10")||A6208||140537||10/50|
Fields of application
Zorflex is indicated as a contact layer dressing for use over a range of chronic, infected and non-healing wounds of different etiologies, including:
- venous leg ulcers
- diabetic foot ulcers
- pressure sores
- surgical wounds
- trauma wounds
- infected graft donor and recipient sites
- fungating carcinomas
- fungal skin infections